Know Your Picture Characters Entry #6

May 24th, 2010 by Wordsman

Two correct answers this week!  Very impressive!  The nose was indeed E.  As to why, I can’t really say.  Dragon’s and Shirley’s explanations seem as good as any.  500 points all around in celebration!

Let’s not forget the rest of our kanji friends, however.

顎 頭 顔 口 鼻 耳 目

You may have noticed that the first three all had the same part on the right side, which may have suggested to you that they had similar meanings.  This is a trick that can serve you well when dealing with . . . oh, about 60% of kanji.  For the other 40%, it’s anyone’s guess what the connection is.  In this case, though, it’s easy: they’re all related to the head.  Chin’s on the left, face is on the right, and the one in the middle is the old melon itself.

Next up is the most boring of the list, which happens to be the mouth (needless to say, it’s open).  The nose you know, of course, which leaves us with two more similar-looking characters.  On the far right we have the eye, which, if you turn it on its side, kind of looks like an eye if you round off the corners and color in the middle.  To its left is the ear, which also makes sense, because it’s basically just a . . . pointier . . . eye.  Right . . .

But let’s move on.  This week’s challenge is colors.  Since we’re smack-dab in the middle of Spring at the moment, I suppose the one you should be trying to pick out had better be green.

A. 青 B. 赤 C. 黄 D. 黒 E. 白 F. 緑 G. 紫

Posted in Know Your Picture Characters | 3 Comments »

3 Responses

  1. Dragon Says:

    I am going to go with F, because it sort of looks like a bunch of plants or weeds or something tangled together, and plants and weeds are green, I guess.

  2. A Fan Says:

    B. The hula dancer, because the grass skirt was originally green, and also the hula dancer’s boy friend is green with jealousy when he sees how the luau attendees are ogling his woman. (I didn’t know the Hawaiians used kanji, by the way.)

  3. Shirley Says:

    G because the lines on top going down look like radiant energy in the form of sunlight making photosynthesis happen on the earth below so grass is growing which is green, of course (except in our yard). I know all this because I just looked photosynthesis up in the dictionary so as not to sound like an idiot. I also wanted to spell it correctly.

Leave a Comment

Please note: Comment moderation is enabled and may delay your comment. There is no need to resubmit your comment.